Ben & Clare!

Ben & Clare!
freezing ourselves in the name of art

Sunday 13 February 2011

Branching out

So, I've decided that I'd really like to add a new string to my bow, in the form of arty photos that anyone can buy from me for their walls (if you feel so inclined). This really will be a mixed bag of all kinds of things, like landscapes, urban photographs, abstracts, and who knows what. So, here's the first photo for you, along with the story behind it.


This all started due to sheer lack of sleep on the part of my wife. We managed to palm off our 2-year-old on his grandparents, but I said I'd take our youngest for a drive around. I took my camera gear just in case we happened upon anything worth getting out of the car for. It really was a bit of a mystery tour, and I didn't really know where we were to be honest. Anyway, past Longridge we turned down this long straight road, and I saw this really cool looking landscape of marsh and trees. Making sure Caleb was fine, I squeezed between the dry stone wall and barbed wire fence and started quickly trying to find a picture. My first attempts didn't really work out as, with forest in the background, there was no separation of subject and background. I span round a bit so that the background was mainly sky - this meant that the tree was no longer swallowed up by the forest. So really this was about seeing the wood, not the trees.

I really liked the angles of the two hillsides, the lean of the tree and the colour and texture of the marshy grass. I decided that, to make it all a bit more arty, I'd manually defocus the tree, leaving it a bit more abstract in the frame. At home, I tried to keep all the Lightroom and Photoshop work really subtle and to a minimum. I added a couple of light textures, played a bit with the colour, tweaked the contrast slightly, and, besides a slight vignette (darkening of the corners), that really was about it.

So there we go, hopefully it was worth getting wet socks for. I really appreciate any comments and feedback :)

Phil

1 comment:

  1. I really like this shot - the muted colours and the angles are very interesting. A nice subtle shot.

    ReplyDelete