Ben & Clare!

Ben & Clare!
freezing ourselves in the name of art

Tuesday 1 February 2011

The story behind the photo: Episode 1

Hopefully this will become a regular feature on my blog, where I can give you all a bit of the story about how the photograph came to be, as well as what I see in the image. OK, so the first picture I want to show you was taken at the wedding of Ben and Clare, on the 29th December 2010. 

It was one of those days when the sun really took its time getting over the horizon - a bit like me pressing the snooze button ten times before getting out of bed, but by the time we all arrived at Ashton Memorial in Lancaster for the ceremony, the sun had had its coffee and was ready to go. Now let me tell you that this venue was absolutely special in so many ways, not least in terms of the lighting and ambience inside the building. It is completely surrounded by windows, but no light comes from above (a photographer's dream really). As I probably mentioned in another blog post, this ceremony was really intimate, and whilst it was obviously a wedding, Ben and Clare had thought about every last detail of the day, to make it completely unique to them. Following the ceremony, I really wanted to just let Ben and Clare soak up the experience and enjoy themselves and their guests, without being instantly snatched away for a million group photos.

Anyway, eventually we decided to pop just outside the doorway for a few portraits of Ben and Clare together. This is where this photograph was taken. After taking a few head-shots, I looked down and instantly saw this image in my mind. 


So, what do I see in this image, besides the obvious answer of 'feet'?
Well, I'm looking at some pretty subtle things I guess but let me give you a few insights. 

1) The lighting - this was the whole reason for the shot, as I noticed how cool the light looked through Clare's dress. It kind of glows, doesn't it?

2) The lines - There are a few lines in this image that I think really help the composition. Notice how just by Clare's feet there is an angle in the gap between flagstones? Well, that line is mirrored just above by the way Clare's dress is falling. Her feet are also aligned with the direction of another gap, leading to the bottom middle edge of the frame. The angle created by Ben's feet runs perpendicular to this line, which for reasons unknown I like.

3) Dynamic range - There's a really big tonal range in this shot, right from the whitest part of the sunlit dress, to the blackest part of Ben's left shoe. I also happen to like the almost creaminess of the flagstone in the bottom left corner.

4) Simplicity - I'm in a bit of a purist phase right now, which means I really want to let the natural qualities of the image shine through, rather than processing the crap out of it in photoshop. 

Anyway, this is a bit of an insight into how I look at this photo. It would be great to hear some of your thoughts or observations, just make a comment below :-)

Phil


No comments:

Post a Comment